Updates for 2017
- The Social Security (OASDI) Wage Base limit will be raised from $118,500 to $127,200 for 2017. The employee withholding rate of 6.2% will continue, effective January 1, 2017.
- Medicare withholdings have no maximum and the effective rate remains at 1.45% for wages less than $200,000 for single and $250,000 for married taxpayers. For wages in excess of $200,000, the effective rate is 2.35% no matter the marital status.
- The IRS has announced the business standard mileage rate for transportation will decrease to $0.535 per mile. The mileage rate for moving purposes will decrease to $0.17 per mile. These rates become effective on January 1, 2017, and remain in place until December 31, 2017.
- Employees who have filed "exempt" from federal tax should be reminded the exemption expires annually on December 31st. To renew the exemption, a new Form W-4 must be submitted to the Payroll Office by February 15, 2017. Failure to do so will result in federal withholding status and exemptions resetting to Single-0.
- International students and scholars governed by tax treaty benefits should be reminded the exemption expires annually on December 31st. To renew the tax treaty exemptions, a new Form 8233 must be submitted to the Payroll Office no later than February 15, 2017. Failure to do so will result in federal withholding status and exemptions resetting to Single-0. You are encouraged to visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services or the IRS for additional guidance.
- Student workers who earn wages between Spring and Fall semesters will be subject to withholding for Social Security and Medicare taxes.
- If you have moved recently, please complete and submit an Employee Data Form (EDF) to the Office of Human Resources as soon as possible. The form can be found on the website at http://humanresources.cua.edu/forms/index.cfm. Incorrect addresses can prevent or delay delivery of paper documents.
- You are required to submit new state withholding forms when you move from one state tax jurisdiction to another. These forms must be submitted to the Office of Payroll within 30 days of the event. All tax forms and other important information can be found on the website at http://treasurer.cua.edu/Payroll/tax.cfm.
- Employees may defer $18,000 of income into the 403(b) plan in calendar year 2017. If an employee is age 50 or older in calendar year 2017, an employee may defer an additional $6,000 for a maximum deferral of $24,000.
- Employees who wish to change a 403(b) election must complete and submit a new form to Human Resources Office of Benefits. Once the form is received and approved, it will become effective the first of the following month. Election changes for January 1, 2017 must be received in the HR office - Room 170 Leahy - no later than 5:00PM on the 18th of December to be effective in January of 2017. The election change form can be found at this link: http://humanresources.cua.edu/benefits/retirement.cfm.
GENERAL INFORMATION130 Leahy Hall
620 Michigan Ave NE
Washington, DC 20064
Hours of Operation
Mon. - Fri. , 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
|Geraldine Hayes||Payroll Manager|
|Sudan John||Payroll Analyst|
|Roger Anderson||Payroll Analyst|